Join us at cloudforest adventure, Intag, Ecuador, in the beautiful Andes for the adventure holiday of a lifetime. This is your chance to experience life in a peaceful and remote Andean community – the perfect location for travellers who prefer to get off the beaten track.
[for more photos & videos please see our Photos & Videos section]
A Cloud Forest adventure includes
Cloud Forest caters for individuals or groups from 1 to 10 people. We also cater for larger groups who wish to camp in tents.
- Great hiking towards and into the pristine jungle of one of the world’s least explored Nature Reserves (Cotacachi-Cayapas, 600,000 acres) which has the highest number of endemic species in the world. Altiplano (highland) treks in the beautiful Piñan lakes area.
- Free guided forest tours on our farm (and further afield), horse-riding trips, treks with spectacular views of volcanoes, highlands and jungles. Good bird-watching (toucan barbet, two species of Guan, two species of trogon, quetzal, plate-billed mountain toucan etc). Pristine waterfall and river bathing. Harvest, prepare and eat a wide range of local fruit and vegetables.
- Comfortable cabin accommodation, with wifi.
- A chance to experience rural Ecuadorian traditions and to meet local people: Sub-tropical and temperate organic farming, coffee production, basket weaving, traditional sugar cane and avocado production - all at our cloud forest farm, or within a short (3 mile) taxi-truck ride to our sub-tropical farm (which belongs to Patricia's Mum, Doña Rosa Maria). In short, we offer an active experience, authentic and fun for all ages.
- No malaria or dengue fever in this area, and no SICCA ( zika) syndrome or Lymes disease. The jungle here is temperate cloud forest and upper montane (typical daytime temperature 23 celsius at the upper farm, and 28 celsius at the sub-tropical farm)- a beautiful and healthy eco-system.
- We also organise visits to local attractions such as Cuicocha lake, Nangulvi geo-thermal baths, Wariman pre-colombian sacred temple and museum, and have contacts with two experienced shamans (Yachags) who offer healing experiences near Otavalo.
- For those who'd like to reach out to local people, we offer teaching, farmwork and conservation volunteer placements in Intag (Cuellaje parish).
- See our listings on Trip Advisor and Airbnb under cloudforest adventure.
- Suitable for people who like nature, and who feel fine with farm animals such as horses, cows and guinea pigs. Not suitable for those who require an urban environment.
- From august 2022, teamed-up with the Río Lindo coffee lodge to offer coffee tours in Cuellaje parish, and guided treks to the Piñan Lakes area. Janet Narum, +593 99 382 9478 https://www.intagcoffeelodge.com/es/
Price per person: $20 per day - includes all accommodation and 3 first-rate mainly organic, home-produced meals, and free tours/demonstrations/excursions within our farms (about 200 acres in total); excludes overnight camping trips to wilderness areas, and birding , exploring , or horseriding excursions when requested outside of our farms, (where usually there is a small extra cost to pay for a guide and sometimes a mule to carry camping equipment).We’ll come and accompany you to our farm - cost price pick-up service from Quito airport and city centre, or from Otavalo or Mindo. We can also arrange first-rate and friendly accomodation for you in Quito, including tours of the city, with our good friends Chari Agea and Felix Castaneda. Chari is an acupuncturist, Felix a flute musician with the orchestra of Andean instruments.
We look forward to welcoming you to Ecuador!